Three Things to Do to Become Compliant & Pay Taxes

Step 1: Obtain a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license with the Arizona Department of Revenue. If you have rental income, you must pay taxes on the rent to the Department of Revenue, who forwards the tax collected to the Town of Fountain Hills. Most property owners charge the tenant for the tax on the rental property.

The main phone line:  (602) 255-3381

Information about Transaction Privilege Taxes on residential rentals (602) 716-7368

General questions about the process:

To download the residential rental application:

short-term (less than 30 days)

long-term (30 or more days)

Once you have received your Transaction Privilege Tax license, the Department of Revenue will send you the forms you need to fill out with instructions. You may also file and pay taxes online. For more information, contact the Department of Revenue.

Step 2: Register as a Residential Rental with the Maricopa County Assessor's Office.

When you rent a residence in Maricopa County, you must register as Class 4.2 - Residential Rental.

Phone number:  (602) 506-3406

Email address:

Online:  You can check to see if you are already registered as a class 4 Residential Rental by entering your address or assessor’s parcel number here:

General questions about the process:

To download the application:

Step 3: Fill out the online form on the Town of Fountain Hills website

Go to
Phone:  (480) 397-2482

Once you begin paying taxes, you will be compliant with the Town of Fountain Hills. The Town of Fountain Hills will cease its efforts to ensure compliance if transaction privilege taxes are paid regularly.

Show All Answers

1. Maricopa County Assessor’s Office Classification
2. Fountain Hills Tax Rates
3. Three Things to Do to Become Compliant & Pay Taxes
4. I want to be compliant, what do I do?
5. I did not know I had to pay the rental tax.
6. I do not know why I got a letter from the Town. I am scared and confused and do not know what to do.
7. I have a rental condominium in Fountain Hills. I did not know anything about this.
8. I pay state taxes every year. Is this not that tax?
9. I do not make any money on my rentals. Why must I pay tax?
10. To whom do I pay the tax?
11. I only rent out my property for two weeks per year. Do I owe taxes?
12. I do not have access to a computer.
13. I already have a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license.
14. Only family lives there. The property has not been rented for 6-10 years. I do not know what to do.
15. I have a neighbor that put their house up for rent and I want to make sure they pay their fair share.
16. How do I get a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license?
17. I rent my home through Airbnb. Do I owe taxes?
18. What is my liability for Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) taxes? Tell me what I must pay, and I will send the Town of Fountain Hills a check.
19. I have not started renting out my property. It is up for rent though. Do I pay taxes?
20. I only rent my property for two months out of the year. Do I have to register with the Maricopa County Assessor’s Office as a residential rental?
21. I do not have a rental, never have, never will.
22. I used to rent my property but do not anymore. Take me off your list.
23. Your letter was mailed to the wrong address. Here is the new address.
24. Which properties of mine are not compliant?
25. I owe back taxes; how do I get caught up?
26. My property manager handles that.
27. My accountant handles that.
28. Is a business license required in the Town of Fountain Hills to own and operate a residential rental?
29. Curious if I need to file for a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license or just send a check?
30. Do I have to register with Maricopa County Assessor’s Office?
31. Family friend is staying there receiving treatment at Mayo. They are paying rent to cover the mortgage only.
32. I am filling out the forms and I have questions.
33. My brother lives there and he pays the mortgage. I got the loan in my name but it is my brother’s home.
34. I have not filed the Maricopa County Assessor’s Office form yet because it asks for social security number and we do not have one. We are Canadian citizens. Should I leave it blank?
35. I have a condominium rented 3 months of the year. I would rather sell it than register it and deal with this.
36. I have two condominiums in Fountain Hills. I have not received a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license and am going to miss the deadline. I am really worried.
37. I have a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license, but do I need to get a new one because of the ownership change from my name to a trust?
38. My home is not a rental. I only own one home and it is not a rental.
39. My daughter lives in my other home and does not pay rent.
40. I rent my home through VRBO (or any other short-term rental company). Do I owe taxes?
41. I cannot complete the Fountain Hills registration because I do not have a Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license number. Is that something that comes from Arizona Department of Revenue?
42. I need some information to finish my rental property registration.
43. I just bought a new rental property. How do I add a location to my tax license?
44. I just sold a rental property but still have others, what do I do?
45. I own a condominium in Fountain Hills and have been paying the rental taxes. Do I need to fill out registration with Maricopa County Assessor’s Office and notify the Town?
46. I owned the property and rented it for 6 years. I paid the rental taxes but not under my name. Instead, I have been paying under my company name for the Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) license.
47. I have owned a rental property for a long time. I need help with the Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) tax form. The form will not allow any date prior to 1994.
48. I only rented the property for three months and made only $6,500 and do not plan to rent it again.
49. It is on the market for sale and it has stopped being for rent.
50. It was a rental in 2007, but is not now.
51. Please advise if we are required to complete the Maricopa County Assessor’s Office registration form in addition to having obtained a business license for our rental property.
52. I purchased the property in June 2018 and have not rented it out.
53. I want to know how to get caught up with back taxes.
54. I want to know if this was always a law.
55. We do not own rental property and do not know why you think we are a property manager. I do not have rental property in Fountain Hills. I moved away a year ago and do not own rental property.
56. What is a class 4? I am helping my dad with his property.
57. What is the Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN)? How do I know how to get it?
58. What rentals do you think I have? I am puzzled.
59. Who is a “Qualified Family Member”?
60. If I own more than one rental property, do I need a Transaction Privilege License (TPT) for each property?
61. When is the tax payment due?
62. How can I change the classification of my property?
63. My unit is currently vacant; do I still need to file a return?
64. How do I change my property from a rental to a primary residence?
65. How do I change my property from a rental to a vacation home?